Wednesday, August 29, 2007

of orientation day


*Charles B. Wang Center

*staller center of the arts (trains performances and organizes on campus shows)

*yawns, boring speeches

*replica chariot

*neat architecture (Wang Ctr)

*Jasmine (for those who are homesick)

*where's the water from those fountain heads?


Yesterday:
Stony Brook is indisputably one of the most diverse campus in the States. Yesterday was orientation day for undergraduates. Met a lot of people (but we left for different paths after campus tour). Here's a tiny scoop of diversity I've tasted:

1) A Korean girl - freshman, very friendly, gave me her contact, biology major
2) A German girl - blonde, 10 month exchange student, music major (classical piano), from bavaria (to be exact), transfer
3) A Brazilian Korean guy - speaks portuguese, freshman, economics major, had snacks together
4) A Canadian girl - approached me first and asked, "Where are you from?", toronto, freshman
5) An Indian guy - didn't talked much, computer science major, exchanged a few words and then left
6) A Filipino guy - freshman, business major, migrated to NY
7) A Japanese girl - my orientation leader, got excited when I told her I'm Malaysian (cause she knows another Malaysian guy who happens to be funny too), gave her my email, sophomore, politics major (i guess), really really friendly

After campus tour, I get to wander around campus and I came upon the Charles B. Wang Center (motto: "Sharing Asian and American Cultures"). Went inside and took a look around. Pretty neat. It boasts a chapel, lecture halls, theaters, Jasmine (restaurant that serves Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean food). Sometimes, there'll be cultural performances held in the Wang Center and it has a replica of a bronze chariot on display too! Neat!


Today:
Was up since 4am to study for my math placement test later this day. It's called the "Crammer" by the locals. You cram and stuff all you can into your head before and exam. Spent bout 11 hours revising (breakfast, lunch and nap in between) before I left for Stony. And when I'm there, I met this Japanese guy who followed me to the Math Dept for the placement test. They gave us iMacs to do our tests. Cool. While waiting, I logged into my yahoo mail and then...

"RE: ENQUIRY"
Dear Kevin,
I don't think the placement exam is necessary for you. I will formally evaluate your courses on thursday, at your orientation (it would help if you have a description and can bring it with you, even if it isn't in English). If it turns out that the placement exam is indeed necessary, you can take it later.

Prof Sutherland.


What??!! I was up since 4am to study and now you're telling me that I'm exempted?!! I emailed him yesterday evening, and I just got a reply this afternoon. Aww man..
I told the person in charge that I've gotta leave. He told me to talk to the guy in black which happens to be Sutherland. Seems to be a really friendly guy. He remembered my email and that he'll see me tomorrow to evaluate my math courses. Oh well, I'm relieved I need not take this test, but I've wasted time travelling here and preparing for the test. I called Prof Lee to take me home. Sorry....

2 comments:

Éruadan Ïndïlwèn said...

Oh man! You met japanese gals!! I want to meet them too~~~ har har har...

Good to see that you're doing well in NYC.. and not needing to go through the placement test.. Good for you.. haha.. Enjoy the rest of your orientation, and God bless!

Jesus Freak said...

yeah japanese girls. there are loads of asians here. ABCs, ABKs, JAs. i mean new york's so diverse!

thanks buddy.